Thursday, July 30, 2009

Purpose & Balance

At the beginning of the year I started off exhausted, stressed, over weight and emotionally drained. Not only am I the President of a very successful business Servicing Organization I also work with clients in my spare time through coaching, mentoring, website design and development…basically helping those who need me to help them live out their purpose and dreams in life. Most of this time is volunteered at not cost…I do it because I love it…I do it because it’s my purpose in life.

What I didn’t realize was that my purpose balance was way off…while I was so busy trying to help everyone else I forgot about me. When I joined a gym in February and started working out with a personal trainer; he very nicely informed me that my balance was…well let’s just say there was no balance…My life revolved around everyone but me and my body and mental state were starting to show signs of a blow out. A month in the gym every single night after work gave me an outlet to work off the stress…I slowly finished up with what extra clients I had and left my schedule completely open for me.

I have to tell you…from someone who is used to running from the time she gets up to the time she goes to bed…this added time in my planner was looking like heaven to me. Not only were there empty time slots…I actually had time to sit and do nothing at all…I liked this…as a matter of fact I liked this so much that I thought…”wow, I could really get used to this.” I had no commitments…I practically dropped out of the social networking scene and thought oh my gosh…this is awesome…April rolled around and it was time for me to start working through some new articles for my website and my book that I am writing and I thought…as relaxed as I am this is going to be so easy. Yeah…right!

For weeks I sat in front of my laptop trying to be creative and figure out what I was going to write about…where did my creativity disappear too? What happened to the woman who could punch out 10 articles in a weekend – good articles I might add. Weeks turned into a month and I felt lost and out of place. But hey…my body looks good…lost the weight, reduced the body fat and dropped A LOT of sizes. I don’t have the stress and I feel much healthier but something was missing…

I thought to myself…If I start all this back up again the stress will return and I will be right back where I was…so what is the answer? How do I find the balance and how do I get back to my purpose? I found out that my creativity and passion was fueled by my purpose and when I eliminated the purpose I eliminated the fire that motivated me. So I decided to start off slow…I took one client on…one that was very special to me. His purpose is what saved me and put me in a place that was good again. So I was passionate about helping him succeed.

So with one client I am learning to balance ‘me and my purpose’ by taking baby steps. Now that I know how to recognize when that pendulum is swinging a little heavier to one side than the other I know how to step back and level it out. By the way, I feel creative again; the writing is flowing much better again…not at the level it was before but it’s getting there and so is my level of motivation and enthusiasm.

Having a purpose that inspires people can be tough when you are less than inspired yourself. I am so excited that I have been given the tools and knowledge to make this all work. Hiring a health and fitness coach / trainer was paramount to my success; having one that knows his stuff and supported the changes in me was icing on the cake. Just remember that it is important to focus on you first and work outward. I guarantee the results you produce will align your goals and visions not just in your health but in your business as well.

No comments: